Love: Expressions in Words
Are you struggling to find the perfect words to express your feelings to someone you love deeply? There are many love words, from terms that refer to newly discovered romantic feelings to deep words for love that has lasted through many trials and tribulations. Discover different ways to describe or express love, along with some ideas for showing your true love how very much you care.
Expressing Deep Love in Words
Expressing deep love in words requires speaking from the heart, whether you rely on the words of sweet love quotes or opt for a direct profession of love. Here are some ways to say, “I love you.”
- I cherish you.
- I want a lifetime with you.
- I adore you.
- I am better because of you.
- I need you by my side.
- I cannot stop thinking about you.
- My love for you is unconditional and eternal.
- All of the good in my life is because of you.
- How could I live without you?
- I cannot imagine life without you in it.
- I cherish the day you walked into my life.
- I have been searching for you since the beginning of time.
- I never knew love until I met you.
- In you, I have found my soulmate.
- I would give up everything else just to be with you.
- My heart is in your hands.
- My heart longs for you.
- My life began the day we met.
- My life changed forever when you became part of it.
- My love for you grows stronger with each moment.
- My love for you is unconditional and eternal.
- My only regret is that we did not meet even sooner so we’d have more time together.
- My soul is complete now that you are by my side.
- To me, you are perfect.
- What would I be without you in my life.
- Words cannot express the deep love I feel for you.
Expressions of Love That Start With You
Sometimes you can say, “I love you” by telling the other person what they are to you or what they mean to you. Consider a selection of options that all start with the word “you.”
- You are a dream come true.
- You are all I want.
- You are and the one for me.
- You are my everything.
- You are my heart.
- You are my life and my world.
- You are my one and only.
- You are my one true love.
- You are my perfect match.
- You are my reason for living.
- You are my sunshine.
- You are the apple of my eye.
- You are the best thing that ever happened to me.
- You are the light of my life.
- You are the one I’ve always wished for.
- You are the yin to my yang.
- You cast a spell on me.
- You complete me.
- You hold the key to my heart.
- You lift me up.
- You light up my life.
- You make my heart skip a beat.
- You mean the world to me.
- You rock my world.
- You stole my heart.
Definitions of Love Terms
You can find more love words by looking at the definitions of terms used to refer to people in love or love itself.
- adore – loving someone very much
- affection – a tender and warm feeling toward someone; extreme fondness
- amorous – feeling desire for a romantic or physical connection
- baby girl – loving nickname for the female partner in a romantic relationship
- bae – acronym for one’s lover; stands for “before anyone else”
- boo – term of endearment used for the one who holds your heart
- cherish – have great affection and caring for someone; holding a person dear
- courting – Wooing; Another word for dating
- enchant – casting a spell of love over someone
- fancy – a strong liking or love for someone or an attraction to them
- heartthrob – term for the one who makes your heart beat faster
- idolize – to totally love someone to the point where you don’t not see their faults
- infatuation – early feelings of love
- longing – to really want someone; to pine to be with them when apart
- lovebirds – partners in a romantic relationship who love each other very much
- passion – a very intense love for or physical attraction to someone
- rapture – a feeling of sheer joy that can go along with being in love
- spark – chemistry; strong attraction between two people
- sweetheart – endearing nickname for your partner
- sweetie – another nickname for the one you love
- treasure – a feeling of valuing your loved one above all else
- worship – to adore intensely
- yearning – a very strong urge to be with the one you love
Love Phrases and Slang Expressions
Sometimes a single word isn’t sufficient. Discover some love phrases and slang expressions used to describe love.
- blinded by love – so in love that a person can’t see their partner’s flaws
- crazy about – completely enamored with someone
- head over heels – to be totally infatuated with someone
- hold dear – to have a lot of affection for someone
- hot for – slang expression describing feeling a strong desire for someone
- inseparable – lovers who will stick together no matter what
- joined at the hip – term for a couple that is almost always together
- love nest – place where lovers spend time together
- main squeeze – your partner in an exclusive relationship
- puppy love – feelings of love between very young people
- sugar baby – a term of endearment for the one you love
- true love – your lover or soul mate
Words for Love in Different Languages
Talking to your true love about your feelings in multiple languages is a truly romantic expression.
- Dutch – liefde (lif.də)
- French – amour (a.muʁ)
- German – liebe (liːbə)
- Hungarian – szerelem (sɛrɛlɛm)
- Indonesian – cinta (t͡ʃɪn.ta)
- Italian – amore (aˈmo.re)
- Latin – amare (aˈmaː.re)
- Lithuanian – meilė (mʲæːjlʲe)
- Portuguese – amar (ɐ.ˈmaɾ)
- Romanian –dragoste (dra.ɡo.ste)
- Spanish – amor (aˈmoɾ)
- Swedish – kärlek (ɕɛːrˌleːk)
- Welsh – cariad (kæɹiæd)
For even more options, explore how to say “I love you” in 20 languages.
Ways to Express True Love
Words are important, but actions sometimes speak even louder. It’s so important to spend time together and be present in the moment. These expressions of love can have a psychological impact on you or the person you love.
- Hug each other often.
- Kiss, both when you are alone and when people are watching.
- Do everyday things together, like baking or walking.
- Pray or meditate together.
- Hold hands.
- Snuggle and play footsies.
- Give each other a foot rub or massage.
- Leave love notes or poems using words that rhyme with love where the other will find them.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset together.
- Relax in a hot tub.
- Stare into each other’s eyes.
- Have a picnic in a secluded spot.
- Get a couple’s massage.
- Travel together.
- Cultivate shared hobbies.
Little Things Make a Big Statement
What you say and do even when you’re not speaking words of love goes a long way toward expressing how you feel to the one you love.
- Don’t criticize or compare your partner to others.
- Be a good listener.
- Ask for their opinions and ideas.
- Keep your promises.
- Buy flowers or a gift for no reason.
- Apologize if necessary.
- Tell them why you love them.
- Be proud of their accomplishments.
- Forgive and forget.
- Follow the golden rule: treat others as you’d like to be treated.
- Be honest.
- Show common courtesy.
Many Ways to Express Romantic Love
As you can see, there are many ways to talk about love. For even more options, explore a selection of idioms about love. You may also find inspiration in this selection of romantic quotes. If you can’t find the right words to describe your emotions try one of 50 untranslatable words for love and life. You might also enjoy the nine Greek words for love. If you need more specific phrases catered to a specific individual, check out hundreds of love quotes for him. What matters, ultimately, is that the one you love knows how you feel.